Survey Course in Minor Surgery/Clinical Proctology
(36 CE hours, $450)
This course is a 36-hour postgraduate program in Minor Surgery/Proctology approved by the OBCE as meeting the requirements to sit for the Oregon Board of Chiropractic Licensing Exam. This course is designed for training DCs that hold Chiropractic license in other jurisdictions. This course is completed online, including the lab portion of the course. The Certificate of Completion will need to be submitted to the Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners (OBCE) upon completion of all course materials. This is a survey program designed to provide learners with an overview of minor surgery/clinical proctology and prepare them for the written examination conducted by the OBCE.
For more details about Chiropractic licensing within the state of Oregon, Visit the OBCE website at https://www.oregon.gov/OBCE/Pages/index.aspx or call the Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners at 503-387-5816.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe sterile techniques, antiseptics, and wound cleansing solutions
- Discuss anesthesia applications and toxic effects
- Define skin anatomy and wound healing
- Explain wound closure, dressings, and postoperative care
- Identify differential diagnosis and treatment of skin tumors
- Describe common office/outpatient procedures
- Discuss clinical proctology differential diagnosis and management protocol
- Practice real minor surgery procedures
Study manual (available as PDFs in the course), videos of lab procedures and actual surgeries, and a written proficiency examination. To complete the lab session, you will need the following:
- 2 pairs of surgical gloves
- 1 complete beef tongue
- 1 needle holder
- 1 tissue forceps
- 1 suture removal scissors
- 8 packets of 3-0 braided silk suturing material
- Manual and Lab. The Manual is presented in PDF form. The Lab is presented via streaming video viewed via your web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari). The learner will be responsible for knowing information contained in both the Manual and the Lab.
- Declaration of Compliance. This form must be filled out and submitted after completing the Lab section.
- Quiz. The quiz assessing student knowledge will be based on both the videos and notes. This assessment will help reinforce the understanding and application of the key components of the lectures and notes. Passing the quiz with a score of 80% is required for CE credit and obtaining the Certificate of Completion.
- Time. This system tracks the time you spend online in the course. As this is a 36-hour course, to be able to print your certificate, you must spend at least 85% of the CE hours actively engaged in the course.
- Distance Learning, Other Category
- Doctor of Chiropractic - DC